Woman Given Antibiotic Overdose Awarded Compensation
An assistant social worker from Stockton-on-Tees has been awarded £400,000 compensation after she was given more than the recommended dose of antibiotics. The error has resulted in permanent damage to her inner ear.
The 60-year-old, who does not wish to be identified, went to hospital for a routine hip operation. For over a month she was given the powerful antibiotic gentamicin, to help her ward off infection. The use of gentamicin over a prolonged period and at high doses can have serious side effects. The mistake caused the woman to have serious problems with her balance and she has been told that her condition will worsen as she gets older.
Routine tasks are difficult for her because she has mobility problems. She likens her condition to having constant vertigo as she feels dizzy and unable to keep her balance. As a result, she has been forced to give up her job.
After she brought a claim for compensation, the North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Trust admitted liability and the amount of compensation was agreed at £400,000. The Trust has also amended its policy for prescribing gentamicin to patients.
If you have been injured as a result of medical negligence, contact us to discuss your claim.