Every farmer knows agriculture and food production is regulated very strictly. Due to the nature of your farming business, you need specialist advice, which combines aspects of business and private law.
When making any decisions regarding a farming business it is important to consider the implications on the business as a whole, such as the effect on support payments, tenancies or the overall tax position, to name just a few. That's why it is so important you find a legal firm that specialises in helping the farming community.
Lanyon Bowdler has been recognised by our appointment to the NFU’s national panel of solicitors, offering quality and expert legal advice to NFU members throughout Shropshire, Staffordshire and Herefordshire. Just 16 carefully selected law firms, with proven track records in agricultural law, have been chosen by the NFU to provide an enhanced and more local service to its members across the eight national regions.
NFU members are able to take advantage of a 12.5% discount on their legal fees – subject to terms.
Our specialist agricultural law solicitors have close personal links with the farming community, so you can be assured we have a good understanding of agricultural issues and the problems you might face.
If you need to speak to an Agricultural Law Solicitor please contact one of the following:
For enquiries close to Shrewsbury contact Andrew Evans on 01743 280280, for those in Ludlow contact Allison Birtles on 01584 872333, for the Hereford area contact Douglas Godwin on 01432 378379, for Oswestry and The Marches call Alan Gittins on 01691 652241 and for enquiries in the vicinity of Telford contact Praveen Chaudhari on 01952 291222. Appointments can be made at any of our offices, or our lawyers will be happy to come to you.
Our Agricultural Law Services
We offer a full range of legal services and advice tailored to farmers, growers, landowners, agri-businesses and other rural enterprises, including:
- Sales and purchases of agricultural and rural property including estates, farms, farmland, woodland, country houses and equestrian properties whether by auction, private treaty or tender.
- Secured lending on agricultural property.
- Agricultural tenancies.
- Residential tenancies and farm cottages including agricultural occupancy conditions and certificates of lawfulness.
- Business tenancies for office and commercial property lettings.
- Single Farm Payment Scheme, Environmental Stewardship and other agri-environmental and woodland grant schemes.
- Farm business restructuring including limited companies, partnerships, joint ventures, share farming and contracting arrangements.
- Access to land including private rights of way, public rights of way, commons and village greens.
- Planning and land development including clawback arrangements, options, pre-emptions, s.106 agreements.
- Commercial contracts and the food industry.
- Renewable energy projects, including wind farms, photovoltaic solar panels and anaerobic digesters.
- Utility Company Wayleaves and telecommunication sites
- Covenants and easements affecting land
- Wills, trusts and administration of estates
- Lasting Powers of Attorney, Inheritance tax advice and succession planning
In addition our agricultural specialists work closely with other lawyers across the firm to provide specialist advice in the following areas:
- Disputes and Prosecutions
- Employment Law
- Divorce and Family Law
- Company and Commercial Law
- Environmental legislation
- Commercial and Residential Property
- Town and Country Planning
Legal 500 Recommendation
The 2012 edition of The Legal 500 states "Lanyon Bowdler's Andrew Evans is recommended. The practice is the approved adviser to NFU members in Shropshire, Herefordshire & Staffordshire, and acts for a number of landed estates, substational landowners and large working farming enterprises."
Speak to an Agricultural Law Solicitor
Contact Andrew Evans on 01743 280280, Praveen Chaudhari on 01952 291222, Allison Birtles on 01584 872333, Douglas Godwin on 01432 378379, or Alan Gittins on 01691 652241.
Appointments can be made at any of our offices, or our lawyers will be happy to come to you.
To find out more about our teams in our different offices, please click on the team link.