Cardiology consists of 20 per cent of all acute medicine. All doctors, in every specialty, are involved in cardiology and it has become an area of litigation which has dramatically increased in recent years.
While the majority of cardiology procedures are carried out successfully by experienced medical staff, clinical negligence remains a factor and can lead to serious health problems being misdiagnosed or mistreated.
The consequences of failing to treat and diagnose a serious heart condition, for example, can be devastating, resulting in a heart attack, severe heart damage or even death, often because the patient did not receive timely diagnosis or treatment.
If you are a victim of a cardiology misdiagnosis or mistreatment, our highly experienced team of solicitors at Lanyon Bowdler can assist you in the event you wish to take further legal action. For legal advice on making a claim please contact Kay Kelly, Head of Clinical Negligence or one of her team on 0800 954 9936.
Negligent Cardiology Treatment
Examples of clinical areas where some cardiologists have failed in their duty of care and provided negligent cardiology treatment include:
- Appropriate diagnostic tests are not conducted when the patient first complains of chest pain
- Failure to diagnose angina when the patient first presents with chest pain
- Failure to warn a patient of the dangers of cardiac catheterisation
- Failure by a GP to diagnose a heart murmur
- The management of patients, who have had a heart attack, suffer from angina or heart failure or suffer from long-term ischaemic heart disease, cardiac catheterisation or pacemaker insertion
- Failure by a GP to recognise an infected haematoma following a routine angiogram
- An ECG (electrical tracing of the heart) is taken, which clearly shows a heart problem, but the condition is diagnosed as something else such as a stomach problem, or reflux
How we can help
Our team of highly skilled solicitors have successfully recovered compensation for clients who have made a cardiology claim.
We ensure every client is treated with sensitivity and care, providing access to specialist medical experts, which enables us to obtain evidence of past and possible future needs to ensure you are adequately compensated for your injuries.
If you or a member of your family has suffered as a result of a cardiology misdiagnosis or mistreatment, speak to a member of our advice team today on 0800 954 9936. You can also visit us at one of our many locations throughout the Midlands including Hereford, Ludlow, Telford, Shrewsbury and Oswestry.