If you have suffered a urology related injury as a result of medical negligence, you may be able to claim financial compensation. The highly experienced team of medical negligence solicitors at Lanyon Bowdler can assist you in the event you wish to complain or seek compensation.
For legal advice on making a urology injury compensation claim, please contact Kay Kelly, Head of Clinical Negligence or one of her team on 0800 954 9936.
What is Urology?
Urology refers to medical complaints involving the kidneys, ureters, urinary bladder, urethra and the reproductive organs. Common urology related clinical negligence claims involve:
- Kidney disease and renal failure
- Kidney Stones
- Kidney removal
- Diagnosis and management of bladder cancer
- Diagnosis and management of testicular cancer
- Diagnosis and management of prostate cancer
- Problems following vasectomy operations
- Incontinence following various surgical procedures
Urology compensation claims are typically the result of medical negligence during surgery, which results in damage to the bladder, kidneys, ureters, urethra or reproductive organs. There is commonly an overlap between urology, gynaecology and oncology in clinical negligence claims.
Kidney Disease and Renal Failure
Kidney damage can often lead to compulsory dialysis, which a person may require for the rest of their lives. As kidney disease is often irreversible and has a considerable impact on a person’s life, it forms the basis for a many clinical negligence claims.
Possible urology claims relating to kidney disease/damage and renal failure include:
- The prescription and administration of medication which damages the kidney
- Delay in diagnosis of renal disease and kidney damage
- Mismanagement of renal failure
- Blood pressure issues relating to the kidneys
It is also possible to make urology injury compensation claims following instances of clinical negligence related to kidney stones. Whilst the majority of kidney stones are small enough to be passed out of the body without any resulting problems, larger kidney stones can cause blockages, particularly in the ureter.
Clinical negligence claims relating to kidney stones can involve:
- Damage to organs such as the ureter during surgery to remove a kidney stone.
- Failure to diagnose and appropriately operate to remove a kidney stone. If kidney stones are left undiagnosed, they can cause kidney damage and severe infection. It is therefore important that a swift and accurate diagnosis of kidney stones is made in order to prevent irreversible damage to the kidneys.
Urology and Cancer
Urology compensation claims relating to cancer may involve delay in diagnosis of bladder, testicular or kidney cancer, or the failure to manage, investigate, treat or appropriately refer those suffering from urology-related cancer. Due to the devastating impact cancer can have on a person's life urology claims relating to cancer are common.
Contact Lanyon Bowdler
If you or someone you know has suffered from an urological illness and you would like legal advice in relation to a potential urology injury claim, one of our team will be happy to discuss this with you.
For a free consultation complete our enquiry form or call 0800 954 9936.