Accidents & Illnesses Abroad

Accident Abroad Compensation

You may still be eligible to claim compensation for an accident even if it occurs while you are travelling outside Europe - and the solicitors here at Lanyon Bowdler have the right experience to help.

The general rule is that unless you were on a package holiday, the claim has to be brought in the country where the accident happened. But, crucially, that does not mean you have to use a lawyer in the same country.

Lanyon Bowdler’s personal injury specialists have supported people who have been involved in accidents in Australia, the USA, Thailand, India and beyond, so are well-versed in the intricacies of dealing with claims in foreign countries.

There are some exceptions to the general rule, however, and we can advise if you may be able to bring your claim in the English Courts.

As you might expect, it is likely that the law of the country where the accident took place will apply to some aspects of your case. This can mean you only have a year - or sometimes even less - to bring the claim to the courts, so it is really important to speak to a solicitor as soon as you can once you are back home.

In some cases, advice may be needed from a foreign lawyer, and our specialists have excellent relationships with expert lawyers from all over the world who will be able to help with your claim.


Give us a call on 0800 464 0086 or complete our online enquiry form, to see how we can help. We have offices in Telford, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Ludlow, Bromyard and Hereford so are able to act for clients all over Shropshire, Herefordshire, Mid and North Wales and across the Midlands.