0800 652 3371

Further Services In This Section

Accident & Injury Abroad Compensation & Holiday Accident & Illnesses Claims


If you’ve had an accident or become ill whilst working or travelling abroad, and you feel that someone else is at fault, talk to our accident abroad solicitors today.

The team of personal injury solicitors here at Lanyon Bowdler have a wealth of knowledge and experience helping clients make international personal injury claims.

We are proud of our reputation as being highly professional, yet friendly and approachable, and we have an excellent track record of helping our clients claim the maximum amount of compensation for their injuries.

Suffering an accident or illness at any time is stressful enough, but if an incident occurs while you are in a foreign country, the negative impact on your life is likely to be heightened.

If something like this happens to you, and someone else is liable, it’s important to have a highly skilled legal team by your side.

Types of Accident Abroad Claims

Our personal injury experts have wide ranging experience handling incidents, such as:



How Will Lanyon Bowdler Help Make a Holiday Illness or Accident Claim?

Whether it was an accident, food poisoning or illness, our team of experienced lawyers will guide you through the process in a sensitive way to ensure you claim the compensation you deserve.

We’ll help you to understand if you have the legal basis for a case, and if so, we’ll assist you to gather all the necessary information to make a successful claim.

We’ll provide you with a free initial consultation so you can ask any questions you may have and so that we can fully understand the details of what’s happened to you.

Our Holiday Accidents and Illnesses Claims Expertise

Many people don’t realise that they are eligible for compensation even when an accident takes place on foreign soil. The specialist personal injury lawyers here at Lanyon Bowdler are vastly experienced and have a track record of success supporting clients who have been injured abroad.

One of the reasons for our success is the large number of contacts our personal injury claims solicitors have developed across Europe and beyond.

Neil Lorimer, Partner and head of the personal injury department here at Lanyon Bowdler, is a member of PEOPIL (Pan European Organisation of Personal Injury Lawyers), as is solicitor Louise Howard. They have acted on behalf of clients injured in the USA, France, Netherlands, Croatia, Germany, Greece, Spain, India and the Falkland Islands.

It may seem like claiming compensation for an accident or illness abroad is hugely complicated, with different laws and languages adding to the confusion, but our specialists are experienced in dealing with these types of claims, and will liaise with all the necessary organisations involved on your behalf.

Claiming Compensation for an Accident or Illness Abroad

If you two or more elements of your trip were booked together, then you may be protected under some special regulations for what’s known as a ‘package holiday’.  Although you might not think of it as such, if two or more elements of your trip were booked together then it is by definition a package. This is an important factor because it means a compensation claim can usually be made in the English Courts.

By contrast, if the elements of your trip (i.e. accommodation, travel and/or activities) were booked separately, the claim has to be brought in the country where the accident happened. Crucially though, that does not mean you have to use a lawyer in the same country.

Lanyon Bowdler’s personal injury specialists have supported people who have been involved in accidents in Australia, the USA, Thailand, India and beyond, so are well-versed in the intricacies of dealing with claims in foreign countries.

The specialist solicitors here at Lanyon Bowdler will be able to advise whether your holiday can legally be defined as a package - and what the best way forward will be to claim the maximum amount of accident abroad compensation.

As you might expect, it is likely that the law of the country where the accident took place will apply to some aspects of your case. This can mean you only have a year - or sometimes even less - to bring the claim to the courts, so it is really important to speak to a solicitor as soon as you can once you are back home.

In some cases, advice may be needed from a foreign lawyer, and our specialists have excellent relationships with expert lawyers from all over the world who will be able to help with your claim.

Holiday Accident, Injury & Illness Compensation Claims

Holidays are precious, and we understand the huge disappointment when a holiday is ruined due to accident or illness, through no fault of your own.

Unfortunately, we cannot of course recreate your perfect holiday, but we can take care of a compensation claim for you - helping to pay for damages and any medical fees relating to your accident or illness.

If you are injured or become ill while on a package holiday, you may be protected by the Package Travel, Package Holidays, and Package Tour Regulations 1992 which means the UK-based tour operator or travel agency can be held directly responsible and a claim can be made in the English Courts. In this situation it may be easier to successfully claim compensation for an accident abroad.

A holiday is defined as a ‘package holiday’ when two or more elements of the trip are bought together. As booking websites make it so easy to do with and attractive discounts on offer, buying accommodation, travel and sometimes activities all together - is very common.

The specialist solicitors here at Lanyon Bowdler will be able to advise whether your holiday can legally be defined as a package - and what the best way forward will be to claim the maximum amount of compensation.

Despite package holidays being governed by English law, it can still be important to seek expert advice from foreign lawyers and other professionals. Our lawyers are highly experienced at dealing with claims of this type.

What to do after an accident abroad

For a claim to be successful it is important to prove that your injuries were caused by someone else. In order to do this, you do the following:

  • Take photos and/or video of where the incident took place and exactly what caused the accident
  • Report the incident to the manager or another responsible person at the location and request that the details be recorded in their log book
  • Get the names and contact details of any witnesses
  • Keep receipts for any expenses you incurred as a direct result of the injuries
  • Get a Doctor’s report and take photos of your injuries
  • Keep a daily diary of events immediately after the accident

What can I claim for?

The compensation you might receive for an injury or illness abroad is dependent on factors including the extent of your injuries, how long it will take to make a full recovery, loss of earnings, and the cost of any medical treatment. The right level of compensation will take into account your pain and suffering, including emotional distress as well as any tangible expenses you have incurred.

You may also be able to recover:

  • The cost of flights and other transport
  • The cost of hotels
  • The days of your holiday ruined by illness
  • The loss of enjoyment of the holiday

Accidents in a public place abroad

You can claim compensation if you were injured in a public place, such as slipping or tripping in a shopping centre or car park, if the accident could have been avoided if the land owner had taken the necessary steps to ensure the area was safe.

Group Action Claims Following Injury or Illness

If you have been involved in an accident involving a group of people while travelling abroad, such as a coach crash, the team here at Lanyon Bowdler could act for all of the injured parties to claim accidents abroad compensation.

These cases are known as group actions, and need a high level of organisation and efficiency - something that our accidents abroad specialists are very experienced in.

One high-profile case which Lanyon Bowdler specialists were instrumental in, was a coach crash in the French Alps involving 23 people in 2006. The team successfully recovered more than £1.3 million in damages for the victims, one of whom had a serious brain injury with many others suffering from orthopaedic and whiplash injuries.

If you have concerns that your illness was due to poor hygiene in a hotel or restaurant it is likely that other customers have become ill too and it might even be possible for you to make a group claim with other affected holidaymakers.

Talk to other guests and find out if they have also become sick. If you discover others with similar experience, take their contact details and ask if they would be willing to provide a supporting statement. Group compensation claims are particularly effective in the case of food poisoning.

Accidents in or near a hotel swimming pool

Swimming pools should be the centre of holiday fun and good memories, but they are all to often the cause of injuries and illnesses. If something happened to you in a holiday swimming pool that was caused through no fault of your own, you are entitled to make a claim for compensation.

  • Holiday swimming pool accidents and injuries include:
  • Head injuries - from an overhanging structure for example
  • Contaminated water - such as the bacterial infection Cryptosporidium
  • Chemical burns - when incorrect levels of disinfection chemicals are added to the water
  • Diving accidents - if caused by the swimming pool design for example
  • Water Slide accidents - if there was inadequate supervision, health and safety checks or signage
  • Broken tiles or uncovered drains - causing cuts, slips or falls

Accidents and Injuries on an Airplane

If you have been injured while travelling on an aircraft you may be able to make a claim for accident abroad compensation. Accidents on board flights are not necessarily subject to the same legal rules as accidents which happen in England or Wales.

All aviation claims are governed by the Montreal Convention 1999, as long as both the country of arrival and departure are party to it.

The Montreal Convention - of which the UK is part of - allows people to make a claim for damages where injury or death is caused by an accident either onboard or when embarking or disembarking an aircraft. The injury must have been due to an unusual event or happening which is external to the passenger.

In most accident claims it is necessary to prove negligence, but under the Montreal Convention it is only necessary to prove that there was an accident that caused injury whilst boarding, disembarking or travelling on the aircraft.

These types of claims are unique and the solicitors here at Lanyon Bowdler have the experience and knowledge to help you get the right result. It’s worth noting that claims must be brought within two years of the accident, so you should try to get in touch as soon as possible following the incident.

Other injuries which may be sustained while travelling by plane include:

  • Burns from hot liquids
  • Slips and trips while boarding or disembarking
  • Head injuries from doors of overhead compartments
  • Injuries from objects falling from the overhead compartments

Hotel Injury Compensation and Hotel Accident Claims

If you’ve had an injury or illness while staying in a hotel either on holiday or while travelling for work, you could be entitled to make a No Win No fee compensation claim. Accidents in hotels are commonly caused by:

  • Negligent cleaning staff Unmarked wet floors
  • Poorly maintained footpaths or steps
  • Poorly lit paths and steps
  • Low fencing or handrails
  • Faulty electrical appliances
  • Unmarked wet painted steps

The liability for your hotel accident may depend on how your trip was booked. If you booked the hotel separately, your claim will be made against the hotel directly. However, if you booked the hotel as part of a package together with other elements of your trip you may be able to claim against the tour operator or travel company in the UK instead.

Making a claim against a hotel, particularly a hotel abroad, may seem like a daunting and stressful undertaking. But if you have suffered pain, illness, distress and/or financial losses as a result of the hotel’s negligence you are entitled to be compensated. Our holiday accident claims solicitors to here to make sure that those who are entitled to compensation are able to do so.

Holiday Illness Compensation Claims

Contracting an illness while travelling abroad for business or pleasure can be very distressing. We regularly assist travellers in receiving compensation after suffering symptoms of illness including:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhoea
  • Nausea
  • Stomach cramps
  • High temperature
  • Fatigue

These symptoms are commonly associated with the following illnesses:

  • Legionnaires Disease
  • Food Poisoning - including salmonella and e-coli
  • Bacterial Infections
  • Bed Bugs
  • Norovirus
  • Typhoid

We have successfully assisted clients to make compensation claims for accidents and illnesses abroad in many different countries.

Countries where it is more common for visitors to contract holiday illnesses include:

  • Turkey
  • Egypt
  • Mexico
  • India
  • Greece
  • Mexico
  • Spain

Wherever they are in the world, establishments have a responsibility to ensure the health and safety of their customers. In addition, if your trip can be defined as a ‘package’ the Package Travel Regulations 1992 make UK-based tour operators liable for any failings in hygiene or food standards at facilities they promote.

This means that you could be legally entitled to receive compensation if your holiday illness:

  • Happened in the last 3 years;
  • Occurred during a trip where two or more elements were booked together;
  • Lasted for more than 7 days; and
  • Was caused by poor food or hygiene standards.

If you think someone else is to blame for the illness you contracted, get in touch with our holiday illness compensation lawyers today.

What should you do if you have an accident or illness abroad?

The first thing you should if you have an accident or suffer from an illness abroad is to seek medical treatment. There are a few other steps you can take to ensure you have all the information you’ll need to make a compensation claim.

Seek medical treatment

Your health and optimal recovery are of course the most important things to consider no matter what they circumstances. Visit the local hospital or GP Practice, make sure the treatment is recorded and that you are given a copy of the report. Keep a record of any medication you are given and any costs associated with these including travel costs.

Report the incident

Inform a holiday rep if you have one, or report the incident to a responsible person on the premises. Make sure the accident is registered in their log book and keep the names and contact details of the people you talk to.

Take photos and/or video

It is important to keep a record of what exactly caused your accident. The easiest way to do so is with photos and videos. Include close-ups and other objects in the scene to demonstrate the size and scale of any defects which caused the accident.

Talk to witnesses

If anyone saw what happened, be sure to get their names, contact details and if possible their agreement to be contacted to make a statement at a later date.

Fatal Accident Abroad Compensation Solicitors

Lanyon Bowdler’s team of specialist lawyers who deal with accidents abroad are highly experienced in cases involving fatal accidents in Europe and beyond.

You may be able to make a claim if a member of your family has been killed in an accident abroad - and you could be able to make the claim for accidents abroad compensation in the English Courts.

We understand that the death of a loved one is an extremely distressing time. The team here at Lanyon Bowdler will offer a sympathetic approach with a view to securing the damages that you are legally entitled to. There is more information about accidents which take place abroad on our other pages relating to Road Traffic Accidents Abroad.

Psychiatric Injury Claims & PTSD Following Accident Abroad

You may be able to claim damages for a psychiatric injury even if it took place abroad - whether it was related to a physical injury or not.

There is more information on our website about claims relating to Road Traffic Accidents Abroad, so please visit those pages if you haven’t already seen them. Depending on where the accident took place, it might be possible for people who are closely involved with the victim to make a claim for any detrimental effects the incident has had on their lives - even if they were not physically injured themselves. The personal injury specialists here at Lanyon Bowdler will be able to investigate whether you are able to make such a claim for accident abroad compensation.


Lanyon Bowdler is recommended as a tier two firm in Personal Injury category of the 2020 edition of The Legal 500. The 2020 edition of Chambers UK also recognises the team as Band 1.

Download Our Useful Guide

This guide offers some helpful tips on what to do in the event you have been injured or suffered illness whilst abroad.

Contact Lanyon Bowdler

Please give our accidents abroad solicitors a call for a friendly, confidential, conversation about how we can help support you with a personal injury claim. There is no commitment or charge for our initial assessment.

Please contact a member of the team or complete our online inquiry form toward the top of this page on the right-hand side. We can also arrange a home or hospital visit when more convenient.

Lanyon Bowdler has offices in Shrewsbury, Bromyard, Hereford, Ludlow, Oswestry, Telford, and Conwy in North Wales. We regularly act for clients across Shropshire, Herefordshire, Mid and North Wales, Birmingham and the Midlands on holiday road traffic accidents and accidents or illnesses abroad compensation claims.

As a leading national law firm, we can represent you wherever you live in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. Give us a call or complete our online enquiry form, to see how we can help. We have offices in Telford, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, Ludlow, Bromyard and Hereford so are able to act for clients all over Shropshire, Herefordshire, Mid and North Wales and across the Midlands.


Superb in dealing with my case and care. I was extremely happy with the service and staff.

- Mr C Verlon, Telford

Communication surrounding my injury claim was excellent with other departments within the firm.

- Mrs L Dowbiggin, Much Wenlock

Very patient - my own records weren't the best.

- Mr J Pearson, Oswestry

Case Studies

£5,000 for Work Shoulder Injury

An 80-year-old man who fell at work and injured his shoulder received £...

Read More

£1.5m Awarded Following a Road Traffic Accident

Neil Lorimer, partner and head of the personal injury team, secured a settlem...

Read More